Sunday, March 21, 2010

Creating The Perfect Chum

On of the most important aspects of great mako shark fishing is setting out a good chum slick. In my opinion the more chum that you use the better. There are all different kinds of chum. Every fisherman it seems has their own version, but I am only going to talk about the two that I mainly use.

The first type that I use is bunker chum. Bunker chum is ground up bunker that is then frozen into a large block. I usually use a cardboard milk carton for this. Bunker chum is really oily and produces a very nice chum slick on the top of the water. You can actually see the slick flatter than the surrounding water.

The second type of chum that I like to use is mackerel chum. It is basically the same as the bunker chum only it is ground up and then frozen mackerel instead. Both of these types of chum seem to work really well for attracting Mako sharks.

No comments:

Post a Comment